Students may work independently on this activity to practice their math facts. Students enjoy both dice and money so it's a great way to provide practice in basic facts. Students who need concrete practice may simply count the pennies, then write the corresponding sentence.
- Students create their own mats by tracing their hands onto a piece of oaktag or card stock. Students may elect to color the hands blue and red, as pictured.
- Insert the mat into a page protector and use dry erase markers for easy cleaning and re-use.
- Create a blank template for the overhead.
- Ask the student to write the other three number sentences for each number family.
- Challenge students to complete this activity with 3-4 handfuls of pennies by linking together 2 mats.
- Have students roll 2 dice instead of one die and place that many pennies on the hand. Repeat for the other hand.